Pages

About Me

My photo
Starbucks is my second home, I love chinese food, yard sales, fall and winter. Penn State is my favorite I love my Old Dominion University and my Liberty University Flames =) I'm from Pennsylvania, and no I'm Not amish =) "Life moves pretty fast, if you dont stop and look around once in a while you could miss it."

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Spiced Pickles from my Homeland!

It also could make a quick and easy Christmas gift for your friends and faimly :)

200 sm Pickles
1 qt Cider Vinegar
1 lb Sugar
2 oz Cloves, Whole
2 oz Mustard, Dry
2 oz Cinnamon
1 c Salt

the pickles in boiling water. Drain. Mix together the cinnamon and cloves. Place a layer of pickles in a crock and sprinkle with the spice mixture; repeat until crock is filled. Combine the sugar, salt, mustard and vinegar and bring to a boil and cook about 5 minutes. Pour brine over the pickles, filling the crock. (More brine may be needed, depending on size of pickles). Cover crock and let stand in a cold place. Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book – Fine Old Recipes, Culinary Arts Press, 1936.


Ok so I got these AMAZING spiced pickles at a craft show Mom and I went to and I had to find out what you need to do to make them. Once I read this recipe , which is PA DUTCH I decided to look and see if there was a recipe I understood.
Brineing is the mixture of sugar and salt :)

I absolutely loved it and was surprised how easy it was to make! I got my containers and the dollar store and just used a regular canning lid to help preserve the flavor! It was a quick and easy project!

No comments:

Post a Comment